Fear Keeps Me From Being An Entrepreneur

I was thrilled reading Sara Blakely's advise on how she found success as an Entrepreneur.   She dispels just about everything you would think you'd have to do to roll out your product: Ten Lesson's I Learned from Sara Blakely That You Won't Hear In Business School.

With just $5,000 dollars, she introduced Spanx, a  women's undergarment, that evolved by her "cutting off the legs" of her pantyhose to develop her prototype.

I  have a couple of ideas' that I am convinced would be successful. The first of which, was a drive-in deli.  At the time, I was living in Miami, Florida.  In the 1980's there were tons of delis'.  However, there were no quality delis' in a drive-in venue.  Convinced people would pay a premium price for a good, fast- food deli. I quickly got to work on getting prices for meats, fish, breads, and beverages from wholesalers.'

My drive-in deli would start out simple.  I would only offer refrigerated foods, there would be no grilling, or cooking.  This would hold down start-up costs.  I would have meat steamers, and all refrigerated products, including the cole slaw and potato salad.

I contacted Roy Black, a prominent patent attorney at the time in Miami.  Since I was working as a Marketing Director at a major mall in Miami, I approached food merchants and ran my idea by them.  It was suggested I open "a deli in a strip center first to test the waters."

I was completely against the idea because the whole concept was to have it just off South Dixie highway;(US 1), next to a heavily traveled road, where people would have easy access, and have high visibility.

 Interestingly, Sara advises not to discuss  ideas prematurely, before having your prototype ready to go.  People, according to Sara Blakely, will want to shoot it down before it gets off the ground.

Isn't that the truth!

However, my enthusiasm for the drive-in deli waned and my idea died on the vine.  

Why?  Fear, fear and more fear. 

In the beginning I was convinced I could find an investor that would back my concept.  But I neglected to follow through.  Excuses, excuses.

I never believed my research was polished enough.  

Sara Blakely worked from the back forward.  She focused on her effort for two years to complete her prototype.  She didn't worry about her business plan, or the presentation.  With her initial investment of $5,000.00,  she hired people to put together the details.  This allowed her to focus on her product and reach her goal.

Why didn't I do that? 

 I always thought that I had to do everything myself, and the venture soon became overwhelming.  Unlike Sara, who gave herself permission to delegate what she couldn't handle.

 I have already addressed two major issues that Sara overcame that kept me from following through on my dream.  

Sara didn't let the details stop her. Instead, she continued to focus on the product. This is one of the traits of a true entrepreneur.

I have another idea I have been kicking around, which targets unemployed 50 plus women.  It is a
networking idea to help them find career placement.

So I ask myself, what's stopping me now?















No comments:

Post a Comment