"To Know All Things Is Not Permitted"...Horace


gemini
Photobucket

Throughout my life, I have had a strange addiction to  astrology and psychics.   I  remember my mother and I using the Ouija Board when I was an adolescent.  I thought nothing of asking questions such as " who will I marry, "how old will I be when I marry,"and delighted in watching the the oracle glide over letters spelling out names and dates.         

I have consulted with more than a few psychics in my life.  Some quite accurate.  My sister has also been interested in astrology and the occult as far back as I can remember. 

As a Catholic, I knew that I should not be consulting psychics and reading my personal astrology chart.  The Catechism of Catholic church states:  (Catholic Answers)

 "All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to ‘unveil’ the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone" (CCC 2116). 

I had an obligation to my faith, and to God not to visit with psychics, or have my chart done.  For me, it was different than just reading for entertainment, I BELIEVED in what was said.

I followed the advise, I paid close attention to dates and predictions.  I had even consulted phone psychics.

I have since thrown away my Ouija Board, and I don't consult psychics. I avoid reading my horoscope.  I worked with my parish priest over two years in learning to avoid these temptations.

I knew that these practices were dangerous; and moreover, when the predictions did not come true, I was in deep depression.  After researching the occult, I realized how fortunate I was not possessed- as can happen- when engaging in these activities.

I have come to understand that one can 'open a door' that can't be easily shut.

 Yes, I do believe there is good and evil in the world.  The priest that I worked with had performed many "deliverances" and has witnessed everything from levitation, to people speaking in tongues, and the most vile behavior.  He has cleansed many houses, and has worked with people for months' because they engaged in the occult and could not get rid of negative spirits in their homes.

Thank God that didn't happen to me.

I am so grateful that I fully understand the consequences in simply reading my horoscope.  It has the same effect on me as an alcoholic having just one drink.

While I will always be fascinated with stories of the paranormal, and amazed at psychic predictions, I realize that this is not what God wants.  It is all about having faith that someone is looking after me, and understanding I don't have to know everything.

Because, just like Saul  in the Bible, I might  find out something I don't need to know.



No comments:

Post a Comment