Job Heaven or Nightmare?

Living in Boulder is like living a dream.  Sunny days, snow-tipped mountains, you can almost reach out and touch them.  I have to pinch myself to believe I live in this paradise.  While the social life is fun, the town is artsy and upscale, it is not the most job friendly town for  marketing and public relations professionals.

Most of the open positions are for technical jobs, or those in the IT market.  So, couple that with the competition, living in a college market, and dealing with all the new graduates on the market each year, it makes it that much tougher to find gainful employment.

I do apply for positions in the Denver market, which is only about 25 miles from Boulder.  The commute is still a challenge, given our traffic and the snowy winters.  Even though our Colorado unemployment market (6.1%) is still better than the national average of 10%, I personally have not experienced any advantages.

Of course, Christmas and the holiday season is not the best time to find work, unless you are seeking a sales position part-time in retail.  However, all the temporary agencies have been contacted.  I have been through all the testing and endless paper work. I feel I have an advantage here, as I have my own health and dental coverage.  This is probably the best advantage I have over most other candidates.

I belong to the national and local Public Relations Society of America.  Just like every other organization or occupation, they offer their own job sites with which to research available positions.  This also is a big plus, but it is not a guarantee at landing a job.

That being said, I hope the New Year brings more promise.  At the very least, some more interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment