Using the Media to Promote Yourself

I saw a very clever approach to promoting one's self utilizing the media.  A dog walker actually posted her name on a 14'x 48'  outdoor poster using her name and phone number.  I thought it was very clever, but questioned the cost efficiency.

Of course, in these times people are taking bold steps to find work.  The more outrageous, the better.  I spoke to previous colleague who was recently laid off .  She shared with me that she had been in the job market 4 months'  before she recently landed a job.  She set up a network of 125 employers that appealed to her.  Then, she registered with each site to email her job opportunities daily.  It was a 24 hour, 7 day effort, but it eventually paid off.

There are specific websites to look into if you are over 50: The AARP.org Job Search Engine powered by RetirementJobs.com is a free service that allows you to search for opportunities with thousands of employers nationwide. Workforce50 and JobsOver50.com are other internet resources.

Working at home is currently another popular option.  If you're a self-starter and working in your 'jammies is your style, there are business opportunities out there for virtual assistants, and data entry.

I'm making my list and checking it twice, in exploring what I am comfortable doing for work.  One constant is : Consistency is the key to my success. 

I remind myself of this daily as the stress of the holidays and many commitments begin to decend on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment