Don't Discuss This at Work

I have broken every rule. I know it is part of my personality, but I found this advise a great reminder: 10 Things You Should Never Tell Your Boss .
  • Your Living Situation
I can remember scrambling around, trying to find an apartment a couple of years' ago. Everyone at the office knew I was on a budget, (I broke another rule).
I had to find a place that was inexpensive, and would take a big dog. Fact is, this should not have been shared in the office. One can be stereotyped by his or her living situation. Particularly, if you are going home to live with parents, or are having trouble making ends meet. 
Being a extrovert, it is too easy for me to blurt out my age, (no, no!), personal issues. I, like others, tend to get too comfortable at the office with co-workers. I realize that this has undermined me in the workplace before. 
Although I hate to think about this, the truth is, there are people in the workplace that don't like me. They may want me out for what ever reason. The moment I share sensitive information with them, I can count on this getting back to my boss. I know that my indiscretions will not be welcomed news. 
The lesson here is, personal information is just that, and should be kept close to the vest. If only I can remember this! 
  • Mental Health Issues
We all have had some mild mental health issues, whether it be a loss, or some kind of set-back that can compromise our work. It is best kept to ourselves. Obviously, if there is a death in the family, your supervisor has to know- in order to for you to make plans to take off.
However, how you react to the loss, or how it has effected you is none of her business. The rationale here is, sharing how you feel, or how you are coping with any issues may get you passed over for any promotion for which you are being considered. 
The rationale is that you are unstable, and cannot handle the promotion. 
It all seems so innocent, and we all are human. We spend 8, 10 hours and sometimes more with our co-workers, letting our guard down is easy. Fact is, letting our guard down can put us on death row. 
I will let you read the other 8 things you should not tell your boss on your own. I want to end with sharing a little story with you about my own indiscretion that jeopardized my job. 
Having held a Marketing Management position for a company, I was in a continuing education workshop taught by another Marketing Manager (far younger, far less experienced than myself). At lunch, I made a stupid, off-hand comment about salary, something along the lines of "and for all of $________a year, I get to....."

I sealed my death warrant. Turns out, the rookie was making far less than me, and that got back to my supervisor. It was not pretty. 
He may have been far less experienced, but much wiser! 
The next time I want to open my mouth, I will exercise restraint. . I have to keep reminding myself, co-workers are not friends. Inasmuch as I want them to be, it is what it is. 
When I want to whine, I will try to visualize three large pieces of masking tape over my mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment