Keep A Low Profile On The Job




Employee : A young employee is sneaking away a case of private documents and telling the viewer to be quiet, isolated against a white background Stock Photo
123rf.com Stock photos

Having worked for most of my life, I have made many observations.  One conclusion I have come to  is emotional displays in the workplace can sabotage your career.

I am convinced that employees who are whinny and troublesome are not the stand-outs for the next promotion. In fact, it is likely they won't be on the payroll next year.

I also don't believe that employees that have a tenure with a company are necessarily the most creative, or most talented.  However, these employees have an uncanny ability to conduct themselves professionally.

 How well you adapt and fit in with your colleagues can also make or break you.  Strong leadership skills, and being able to divorce yourself from personal issues are coveted traits in the corporate world.

 One of my co-workers a long time ago gave me wonderful advise on how to conduct myself on weekly conference calls:  "Try to be invisible".  The point is, getting on your supervisor's radar may not be the best idea.  Listening skills go a long way.

I have worked in businesses where I have observed people that are tougher than nails.  These employees  are direct and focused. They crack the whip, are great with details, and get the job done.  They are far too clever to let their emotional guard down at work.

Emotional displays can put you at risk.   Particularly to other ambitious employees that may want your job.  I found this piece of interest:  Use Your Jealously, Anxiety and Frustration To Motivate You At Work.
While it is not healthy to bottle emotions, the workplace is not a place to expose them.  We are all human, and, as such, have good and bad days.

One of the mistakes I am guilty of is believing my co-workers are friends.  No one is my friend at work.  If it comes right down to it, any one of my co-workers will throw me under the bus of if their job is in jeopardy.  Trouble is, I have a hard time believing this.

It is easy to get comfortable on the job.  After all, we spend more time with co-workers than with family. Personally, it is hard for me to make small talk.  But that is exactly the only type of talk I should engage in at work.

Employers don't appreciate personal problems brought to the job. The key is not to give anybody any ammunition that would compromise your career.

Above all: be your own counsel.  Unless, of course, you have specific job-related issues to discuss with your supervisor.

So, as I head back to my desk, I repeat to myself: " I will not discuss my date last night, I will not discuss my date last night, I will not discuss my date last night".





No comments:

Post a Comment