No, I Don't Want to Be An Insurance Agent

 I have had my share of emails from Insurance companies offering me the opportunity to own my own business and become an Insurance agent. The offer goes like this: 

We came across your resume and believe you have the qualifications to own your own business. 

Phooey. Oh, and I might mention you can do this for a $10,000 (approximate) investment. 
Not very cool. As if I don't have enough to navigate in trying to find job opportunities in an impossible market, I now have to deal with what I have dubbed the job spam market. 

First, I was barraged by text messages from every sales industry in America, trying to sell me this or that. Now, I am not so pleased to have to fend off the employers that want me to buy my way into a job. 

I don't think so. 

I have had similar opportunities from other industries. Am I supposed to be excited about this? I have a friend who became very successful at owning her own insurance agency, and yes, she had to make an investment. It just does not head up my list in finding my dream job. 

It goes way back to being leery of anything or anyone that asks for money upfront for a service or business. 

For those of you with sales and marketing backgrounds, you are bound to be flooded with these opportunities, and I don't know how to avoid this. However, I have found that by explaining I am looking for a salaried or base compensation, this closes the door on the solicitors real quick. 

I just don't have the patience for fielding these calls. 

Excuse me, gotta run now. I have my University Alumni office on the phone, wanting to know if I can make a contribution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment